As the winter season fast approaches, it becomes increasingly more important that we prepare our homes for the extreme change in weather conditions. Fall home maintenance is the only way to prepare our homes for winter. Gathered are some vital home maintenance tasks for you to get done before winter arrives:
- Proper maintenance of your trees and shrubbery is imperative to withstand extreme snow conditions. This is a task you will want to get done before the rain and snow arrives. Make sure that no tree branches hang over your roof and that everything is trimmed so that they have a better chance of withstanding winds, snow, sleet, and freezing conditions.
- Any exposed pipes that are located outside of your house should be wrapped with insulation. Likewise, you will want to insulate any outdoor faucets with Styrofoam, rags, or paper.
- It is important that you know exactly where your cut-off value is located and how to use it in case of freezing conditions.
- In order for your gutters and storm drains to do their jobs, they must be clear of debris and leaves. Be sure to clean them right before the rainy season begins. This will keep your home safe from flood damages.
- Most importantly, you must have your emergency disaster preparedness kit stocked and ready to go. This emergency kit should include a battery operated radio, flashlights, batteries, nonperishable food, water, any essential medications, clothing, important family documents, etc. You should also refresh your memory of local evacuation spots.
We have been providing New York residents with unparalleled insurance solutions since 1926. Contact Scautub Agency in Scotia for all of your New York homeowners’ insurance needs. We can personalize a unique homeowners’ insurance policy that will protect your home from all possible perils.