The New York winter is fast approaching, which means there is no better time than now to refresh our memories on driving tips for the cold. Whether you have been navigating the icy roads for years or an inexperienced driver who recently got their license, winter driving proves to be extremely dangerous if you do not follow safe driving habits. We want you to remain safe this winter, which is why we have gathered these 5 vital winter driving tips for you:
- Before the snow arrives, make sure to bring your car to the mechanic and have it checked. You will want to make sure your car, especially your tires, can withstand the harsh winters ahead.
- One of the most important parts of driving during the New York winter is leaving early for everything. Failing to leave cushion time will only result in aggressive driving tendencies that are even more dangerous when the roads are covered in snow and ice.
- Before you head out, make sure to clean your car of all snow or ice. A quick and efficient way to do this is by keeping a spray bottle filled with 2/3 vinegar and 1/3 water. This will immediately melt the ice away and make your job easier.
- Slow down! No matter how late you are to work, speeding when the roads are wet or covered in snow and ice can result in fatal consequences.
- It is also important that you have a safety kit on deck just in case of an emergency. This includes flares, winter coats, blankets, flashlights, batteries, a camera, and nonperishable food.
Contact Scautub Agency in Scotia for all of your New York auto insurance needs. We will go above and beyond to ensure your protection during the harsh New York winters.