How your homeowners insurance treats common types of internal damage.

While you know that your homeowners insurance offers coverage for sudden, unexpected damage events, what happens when your home sustains damage without an external catalyst?  Here is what your home insurance will and will not cover when it comes to these common types of internal damage.

  • Water Damage

Your home insurance may offer coverage for water damage, depending on how the damage occurred.  For instance, if water damage is the result of an unforeseen issue, such as a burst pipe, then your policy will likely offer coverage.  If water damage is caused by a faulty appliance, then your policy will probably cover the damage, but will not pay to repair or replace the appliance.  Water damage caused by neglect or gradual issues will not be covered by your insurance.

  • Infestations

If your home sustains damage due to a rodent or insect infestation, then your homeowners insurance will probably not offer coverage.  This is because infestations are considered a result of the homeowner’s negligence.  So, if your home or belongings are damaged by pests, then this cost will come out of your own pockets.

  • Faulty Appliances

If an appliance breaks down due to lack of maintenance, then your insurance may cover the damage that the broken appliance causes, but it will not cover the cost of repairing or replacing the appliance itself.  Additionally, your home insurance will not cover the cost of repairing or replacing appliances that break down due to mechanical failures.  Instead, this coverage can be secured through a home warranty.

This is what your home insurance policy will cover when it comes to internal home damages.  Do you have additional questions about your homeowners insurance?  If so, then contact the experts at Scautub Agency in Scotia, New York.  Our dedicated team is eager to assist you with all your coverage needs today.