Your Checklist For Safety In The Home & Behind The Wheel
Homeowners along the east coast are no stranger to freezing temperatures, but chances are, you have become so comfortable over the years that you may forget to perform some vital winter maintenance tasks. We want you, your ride, and your home to remain protected, which is why we have gathered a homeowners’ checklist for freezing weather:
In the Home
- In order for your home to remain safe from outside waters and snow, you must clean your gutters and downspouts. If these areas fill with debris, water may flood into your home, which will not be covered if you do not hold a flood insurance policy.
- To better utilize your heating system, make sure to replace and repair any areas where weather stripping have cracks or dings. This is extremely important as it will keep your heating costs down.
- Before using your fireplace, make sure to have your chimney swept.
- Make sure to stock up on nonperishable food and water just in case of an emergency. You never know when the next big storm will be.
Behind the Wheel
- It is important that you have a mechanic look at your ride before taking it out on the icy, snow covered roads. Request that your mechanic look at the following: battery, thermostat, ignition system, antifreeze levels, windshield wipers, windshield washer fluids, oil level, exhaust system, heater, brakes, defroster, and lights.
- Stock your car emergency preparedness kit. This kit should be fully equipped with the following: blankets, flares, first aid kit, water, nonperishable food, small tools, and a sack of sand.
We hope this checklist for freezing weather allows you, your ride, and your home to prevail through the winter months. Contact Scautub Agency in Scotia for all of your New York home insurance needs. We will go above and beyond to provide you with ultimate security on the open New York roads.