When it comes to the safety of you and your family, make sure to prevent the growth of mold which can cause respiratory issues and disease.
There are over 100,000 species of mold worldwide and thousands of them are native to the United States. They are nature’s decomposers–turning millions of tons of dead organic matter into basic molecules which can be used as nutrition and fertilizer. Some mold has even saved your life–the antibiotics in your medicine cabinet would not be possible without the mold Penicillium chrysogenum. But as good as molds are, there are a few which are dangerous to us and it’s those for which you have to look out! Here are a few way on how to protect your home from mold growth.
Use Mold-Killing Products
- Clean your bathrooms with bleach in order to remove and kill a vast majority of the mold.
- Before you apply paint to your walls, make sure to add in mold inhibitors to prevent the growth of mold on your walls.
Inspect Home After Flood or Other Water Damage
- If your home experiences water damage after a flood or some other source, like a busted pipe, make sure to wash and disinfect all surfaces that have been affected by the water. This includes floors, walls, shelves, and all appliances.
- To reduce the risk of mold growth, keep the humidity level in your home between 30 and 60 percent.
- Do not install carpets or rugs in places that tend to collect moisture. These places include bathrooms, kitchens, and basements.
A homeowners insurance policy may be able to help get rid of the mold damage on your home, it just depends on the source of the moisture. Make sure that you get Get more coverage for less by contacting Scautub Agency in Scotia, New York.