Did you know that your household appliances could pose serious damage risks?
As a homeowner, one of the risks that you need to be concerned about is the threat of water damage. While most people associate this type of damage with heavy rains and flooding, in actuality, household appliances are one of the leading causes of water damage. Want to protect your home from the damages associated with a malfunctioning washing machine, water heater, dishwasher, and so on? Then here are some of the steps that you should take to prevent these losses.
- Check for leaks: Check the areas around your appliances for signs of leakage every four months or so. Undetected leaks are one of the worst culprits when it comes to household water damage.
- Check supply hoses: You should also check the supply hoses leading to your appliances to ensure that their connections are water-tight and that they do not show signs of damage. Keep in mind that damage to these hoses may not be visible, so you should replace the supply hoses on your washing machine and dishwasher every five years.
- Flush your water heater: You should flush out your water heater once a year to remove built-up sediment and other debris. This will keep your home’s water heater functioning properly and will reduce the chances of water damage to your property.
- Avoid running appliances unattended: You should only run your washing machine and dishwasher when someone is at home to monitor things. This way you can stop running your appliance at the first sign of a leak or other malfunction.
- Read manuals: You should read the owner’s manual for your washing machine and dishwasher to ensure that you are using the right detergents and operating your appliances in accordance with manufacturer recommendations. This will reduce the chance of you accidentally damaging your appliances and suffering from water damage.
These are some of the steps that you should take to prevent your appliances from causing water damage to your home. Want another way to protect your home? Then make sure you have the right homeowners insurance protections in place. For assistance with all your home coverage needs, contact the experts at Scautub Agency in Scotia, New York today.