Going Healthy For National Nutrition Month
Are you ready for National Nutrition Month March 2015? This important month is all about educational awareness and the importance of eating healthy while simultaneously making sure your family eats healthy as well. We understand this is often easier said than done, which is why we have gathered a list of quick nutrition changes you can make:
- Your plate should consist of at least half fruits and vegetables. Veggies to enjoy more include sweet potatoes and broccoli. If you find it difficult to skip dessert each day, try switching it up and having delicious fruits as your sweet treat!
- Half of the grains you eat on a daily basis should be whole grains. This means enjoying oatmeal, bulgur, brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, rolled oats, and other whole wheat items more regularly.
- If you are still enjoying whole milk or 2 percent milk, it is time to make the switch. You can likely get the same satisfaction from a tall glass of fat-free milk or 1 percent milk. There are also healthier milk options that you can enjoy, including coconut milk, almond milk, and soy milk.
- When you look at the nutritional table of an item, are you only looking at calories? One of the most important lines to look at is the sodium content. You should be eating foods labeled reduced sodium, no salt added, and low sodium. Keep in mind that most packaged foods have extra sodium for preservation.
- Water, water, and some more water! Rather than enjoying diet sodas and sugary fruit drinks, indulge on water instead. It may help to carry around a reusable water bottle with you so that you are reminded to hydrate.
Join us in celebrating National Nutrition Month March 2015! Contact Scautub Agency in Scotia for all of your New York insurance needs. We will be your guiding hand to ensure that you receive the protection you deserve!